Thursday, January 19, 2012

And they ate happily ever after...

I was 14 when I started my first food blog.  I thought about this on my way home, and had to laugh.  Of course, at the time, I had no idea that I was actually writing a food blog.  I was supposed to be chronicling our family vacation to Washington, DC; the sights, the LONG drive, the attractions, etc.  While I may have mentioned in a line or two each day where we went or what we did, I gave very detailed explanations of every meal we ate.  Apparently, I've been a foodie my whole life.

Like any relationship, food and I have had our ups, and we've had our downs...but we've arrived at a very healthy place that I like to call moderation. It's taken me a long time to understand that nearly all things are okay as long as they are taken in moderation. Throughout the last couple of years, our family has undergone some major lifestyle changes, so while we may make the occasional heart-attack burger or fried mozzarella stick (ahem, Chris, ahem!  haha!) we try hard to modify the recipes we make so they are at least partially healthy for our family. 

Case in point is breakfast this morning.  I seriously love breakfast sandwiches.  I got inspired from a recipe I saw a while back, and I decided to make pancake sandwiches.  I used a third of whole wheat flour in place of white flour for the pancakes, turkey sausage, scrambled eggs, and half a slice of cheese.  They are SO good!!

For lunch, I took some frozen chili we had in the freezer.  I didn't know if I could survive another attack from the burger that was last nights dinner, so I decided to play it safe.
For dinner, I thought pizza sounded really good.  I had found a recipe on skinnytaste.com for a quick marinara sauce that I really wanted to try, so I made that to use on the pizzas, and it only took about twenty minutes.  The last time we went grocery shopping, I had bought some pre-made thin and crispy crusts.  I know, I know, homemade crust is probably better, but on a weeknight, I don't have time to let dough proof.  (Besides, making homemade dough means measuring ingredients.  I measured enough ingredients for pancakes.) For the kids, some pizza blend cheese, pepperoni, and this Parmesan sprinkle finished theirs off.  For Chris and I, fresh mushrooms, red onions, fresh baby spinach, a teaspoon of pesto, and fresh mozzarella gave us an amazing veggie pizza.  So. Good.
As you can see, the kids and Chris got to the pepperoni pizza before I had a chance to take a picture...grr.  

I will be gone tomorrow night and Saturday night, so there will probably not be any updates from the home front until Sunday.  Until then, take care, and thanks for taking the time to read and follow our little challenge!

8 comments:

  1. Kylie, I agree about dough taking it long to rise so I use a crust mix (Martha White). It makes a fresh dough crust all you have to do is add hot water, a little olive oil and let sit covered for 5 minutes. Costs about a dollar and makes a medium size pizza. It's our favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the idea Kyleigh! I will definitely have to give that a try!

      Delete
  2. Kylie...I want to make chili this weekend. I've never been happy with my recipes. Do you have one that you would be willing to share?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure Lisa, I would be happy to! I have a couple of different kinds of chili that I make, once is a chunkier style, and the other is a sweeter, soupier version. Let me know which one you would like and your email and I will send them to you!

      Delete
  3. Your blog is making me so hungry. Everything looks delicious. I feel a little jipped that all that time we lived together you and Chris weren't cooking for me every night! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, I wish I had then...at least I would have had a little more time on my hands to do so! I'm pretty sure that I am nuts taking this on!

      Delete
  4. I remember that journal so well from the trip - hysterical! Looks delish, sis!

    ReplyDelete