Saturday, May 12, 2012

Finals ALMOST completed!

Finals.  Ugh.  Every college student's evil nemesis.  Even those of us finishing school ten years later than originally planned (oops) dread this week.  So, because I'm so incredibly awesome at foresight, I re-start the blog at the beginning of the most hated week ever.  Brilliant, I tell you.

You can obviously read how well THAT endeavor turned out. I guess I should clarify.  Most of the week was actually pretty good.  I've got some serious work to do this weekend regarding breakfasts and lunches, but we have had some amazing dinners from home this week.  In fact, every night except for Tuesday (class night) we had dinner.  I call that a success. (My blog, my award system)

So here's how we fared:

I made Peruvian Chicken Monday night.  I freaking love this stuff.  For real.  I am pretty sure that I could eat it every day.  I still long for the real Pio Pio in NYC (which is not a negotiable on my NYC trip in 2.5 weeks.  We WILL eat there), but I am getting pretty dang close with my recipe.  It's a little Peru via NYC via KS. I also made Cilantro Lime Rice (I add extra lime) to go with it, and sauteed some asparagus.  DELISH.

I know that I've mentioned time and time again what troopers my kids are when it comes to trying new foods.  They really are, though.  When I make this now, even they love to get extra Aji Verde sauce.  You know how there are some things that sometimes you are secretly glad that only you enjoy?  Because maybe you are a tiny bit selfish about some things still?  Yeah, this used to be one of those things for me.  Now its a fight to see who gets the last drop of the sauce.  I even doubled it this time. 

Tuesday night was class.  That meant a crappy sandwich...but afterwards I enjoyed a lovely Tallgrass Oatmeal Cream Stout.  Its my current favorite stout. (mmmm...speaking of...)
Wednesday night I decided to try another brand new recipe. Before I post it, though, I have to admit something.  I am one of those individuals who is completely guilty of pinning TONS of recipes on Pinterest that I NEVER get around to making.  They look amazing, and I may even make a pretense of a list to get the ingredients to make some of the things...and no.  I'm resolving to change some of that, and this is one of the recipes that I've had on there the longest that I've been wanting to try.

I made these Buffalo Chicken Eggrolls, because I figured they were a.) pretty dang healthy, and b.) pretty dang easy.  When you can get healthy AND easy, and as an added bonus the stuff comes out tasty...you are pretty much supermom.  Cape optional.
They were actually good.  Were they as good as fried egg rolls?  Do you even need to ask that question?  But I was pleased with how they turned out.  I made some for the kids without the hot sauce, and was declared the best cook in the galaxy by my four-year old.  That's right son.  Don't you forget that mommy's the best.  :)

Moving on to Thursday.  I have to admit, this is the night we *ALMOST* blew it, but thankfully, in a moment of clarity, we persevered.  I hadn't set anything out the night before, so I really had no idea what I should make.  Then I remembered that I had some Pernil (which is an outstanding Puerto Rican style pork) that I had made up about a month ago, and had frozen.  I popped that package in the microwave, whipped up another batch of Cilantro Lime Rice, simmered a can of black beans on the stove with a little butter (1 T. per can of beans), and fired up the grill.  I took a zucchini out of the fridge and sliced it on the diagonal, and then gave it a toss in some EVOO and minced garlic.  When the grill was hot, I grilled the zuchinni, and then assembled everything  listed above into a tortilla,  plus some shredded cheddar cheese (of course.  A burrito is simply NOT a burrito without shredded cheese), and some of our favorite salsa (if you LOVE some heat to your food, I highly recommend you trying this salsa.  You're welcome in advance.)
Once everything was in the tortilla, I spritzed it with a little EVOO, and plopped it back on the grill to crisp up. 

I'm in love.  Like, leave-me-alone-while-I'm-eating-this-or-you-might-lose-a-limb love.  I love it when stuff I throw together COMES together.  And I kept it healthy (aside from the carb-loaded tortilla, but who's counting that?)

So, we move on to Friday.  Have you ever heard the term "Friday night letdown?"   Doobs always used to tell us that on Friday nights, and we didn't understand why she could possibly have no energy left ?  Friday nights are party nights, right?  Enter Kylie's thirties...exit party nights.  Friday nights=Friday night letdown. Talk about hitting walls.  (yes, plural)  This whole last week, I had wanted to try a pizza on the grill, though, and this seemed like a great night to try it.  (Especially because I had a paper due at midnight.  That's always a good time to experiment with all things culinary).  I decided to try a meatless option, and I'm sure glad I did.  I even made the crust (just the dough on that link, nothing else.  I also subbed 1 1/3 c. of white flour with whole wheat flour).

Prep work looks delish, huh???

After all was grilled, I set the squash/zucchini to the side, put the blackened peppers in a Ziploc baggie for about half an hour (this lets the skin steam, and it will peel right off).  I split the dough into two pizzas, and saved one of the crusts for tomorrow.  The other I placed on the grill, brushed with EVOO, and waited until it started to brown a little.  Then I flipped it to cook on the reverse.  I used Pesto for my sauce (of the Trader Joe's variety), and fresh mozzarella as my cheese (again, no cheese= not a real pizza).  I topped with all my grilled veggies, and when all was melted, I pulled it off the grill, and while still hot, added the Pièce de résistance....a sprinkling of goat cheese.  Who needs meat?  I would literally eat this every. single. day.
And my wonderful, glorious, fantastic piece...
So, that is our dinner menu for the last week.  I've got lots of plans for this weekend to help us get the whole package (you know, breakfast, lunch, AND dinner) thing down, so stay tuned!

Cheers!


1 comment: